Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Incredible Shrinking Pint

Is nothing in these troubled economic times sacred? Via Freakonomics comes the news that Haagen Dazs is reducing the size of their pints of ice cream from 16 to 14 ounces. The company claims increasing prices for ingredients, but the bottom line is you now get less ice cream for your buck. Also HD is lying to you about how much they're giving you; the containers will still says one pint only now they aren't a pint.

It isn't really like I needed another reason to reach for the Ben & Jerrys instead but that pretty much seals the deal for me. Especially when B&J's says that in tiought times like these I deserve a full pint of ice cream.

Reminds me of when Dannon downsized their yogurt containers from 8 to 6 ounces and I instantly switched to the next brand over on the shelf who's containers said still 8 ounces in big bright letters (I think that was the Brown Cow one).

I'll really be upset if this kind of thing creeps in to bars and beer sales. It's bad enough that they tell us a pint is 16 ounces here in the States can you imagine 12 ounce drafts and 10 ounce cans and bottles? Shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment