Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Quote of the Day Bonus Edition - Senate Seat Fire Sale

Well if you were looking to purchase a Senate seat for yourself you are too late. The Feds shut down the market this morning when they arrested and subsequently indicted Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich on charges of attempting to auction off President-elect Obama's now vacant seat in the Senate.

The quotes were supplied by Federal Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald (yes the very same) but the words are the Governor's:

“I’m going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain.” He added later that the seat “is a [expletive] valuable thing, you just don’t give it away for nothing.”

“I’ve got this thing and it’s [expletive] golden, and, uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing. I’m not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it. I can parachute me there,”
It's pretty much just a mess folks, NPR has some good stuff including audio from the press conference if you look around.

Update:

You should probably also check out the excerpts from the criminal complaint against Blagojevich that Ezra Klein has up, as he says a hell of an endorsement and a narrow thing at that.

Also Adam Serwer at Tapped has a rundown on who the six unnamed Senate candidates are.

No comments:

Post a Comment